Eating The Forbidden Fruit-Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS)

An apple a day, keeps the doctor away.

I remember being told this saying by my teacher in grade school. Well..in my case, an apple might actually cost me a trip to the doctor’s office!  

I have what is called Oral Allergy Syndrome when I eat apples, peaches, cherries or any other pitted fruit.  My mouth and tongue start to get itchy and tingly.  Depending on which fruit it is, my lips will even get swollen.

What is Oral Allergy Syndrome?

It’s a reaction to the protein in raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.  The reason for it’s name, is because it’s only limited to your mouth, lips, tongue and throat.

For those of us who have this condition, it usually happens right after eating the food and can last anywhere between 15 minutes to an hour or more.  Thankfully, this is typically a less severe food allergy.

If you have this type of allergy, then chances are you have any allergy to certain pollens as well (i.e birch, alder, ragweed & grass)

The good news is, just cause you can’t eat it raw, doesn’t mean you can’t eat it cooked.  Personally, I can still enjoy all the fruits I can’t eat raw when it’s cooked.  Like, mmm…apple pie!



Foods that cross-react

Foods that cross-react with pollen

For more info

Oral Allergy Syndrome
AAAAI


Note: the information posted is based on personal experience.  Please consult a physician for further information or if you suspect you have a food related allergy.

Advertisements

One thought on “Eating The Forbidden Fruit-Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s